Sunday 15 August 2010

Buddha Speaks – Which Is The Dream?

I am fascinated by dreaming!  I have now taken several courses on dreaming and I have read about forty books on dreaming.  Shaman and medicine men/women believe that this world that we walk in is the dream, and that what we see in dream time is the reality.  Some of them base this belief on the fact that when several of us are in the same situation, for example, a conversation or argument, each of us will have a different view and memory of the incident.  However, if two of us have the same dream, and if we are both in it, our memories of the dream are usually the same.

The following story is quite thought provoking.  What do you think this story says?

 

image

This beautiful picture of dreaming is from creoleindc.typepad.com

Dreaming


The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamt that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"

image

Happy dreaming,

Judy@angelsandancestors.com

2 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking! I’ve been here a few times again to re-read the wee tale : )

    the point about ‘the shaman and medicine men/women believe that this world that we walk in is the dream, and that what we see in dream time is the reality’ is quite difficult to see, trying to grasp the concept, and it slips away as quick as it came.. but yes, there are many veneers in waking life.

    As Lewis Carroll wrote.. Ever drifting down the stream ~ Lingering in the golden gleam ~ Life, what is it but a dream?

    In the story, I think he is ‘all’ of these.
    For me, it is pointing directly to awareness, it speaks of: what ’is’ in each moment - that is the reality - in that everything we perceive is ’our’ reality, both the dream and the waking state is our reality.. part of us, everything we perceive.. we are. Whether I am awake or dreaming, I’m there doing exactly that, it’s ’all’ part of me as a whole.. how can any of it not be real when i am there experiencing it.. it is happening?

    My partner and I, while sharing a life and a home together, still, both have very different realities. : ) so difficult to put into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of putting the concepts in this koan together, Green Whisper. Thanks again, for taking time to write down your ideas and to share your thoughts. We all learn from the insight of others because we all hold pieces of Creator's design. I love the Lewis Carroll quote about Life. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts. Blessings, Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy