It has been raining and a bit on the chilly side for this time of year. I like to make soup when the weather is unpredictable. Here is a great recipe that I found at http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/11/slow-cooker-chicken-noodle-soup/
I substitute rice noodles for the egg noodles.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes - Cook Time: 7 hours - Yield: 4 - 5 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (3 - 15 oz cans)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried sage (optional)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed, finely crushed*
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Saltine crackers or parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- To a slow cooker, add chicken (un-cut), diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Drizzle olive oil over top then add in chicken broth, water, thyme, rosemary, celery seed, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6 - 7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and allow to rest 10 minutes, then dice into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, add egg noodles and parsley to slow cooker. Increase temperature to high, cover and cook 10 minutes longer (or until noodles are tender). Stir in lemon juice and toss in cooked, diced chicken. Serve warm with saltine crackers or top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- *I just crushed the rosemary in the palm of my hand then for the celery seed, I placed it in a ziploc bag and crushed it with the flat side of a meat mallet.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy