This easy, gluten free casserole is a favorite for me for either breakfast or lunch. After you make it a couple of times, experiment with adding different ingredients to make it your special dish.
Cooking Time: 35 min
- 1 pound pork sausage (plain or sage flavored)
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups frozen hash browns, slightly thawed (about 12 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces), divided
- 3/4 cup gluten free Bisquick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black pepper or 4-5 drops hot sauce
- 2 cups milk (skim, 2%, or whole)
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 10-inch skillet set over medium heat, crumble the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, for 4 minutes. Add bell pepper and onion and continue to cook and stir another 4 minutes. Drain off accumulated fat and spread the sausage mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the potatoes over the top of the meat, then sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and then add the Bisquick, salt, and pepper or hot sauce. Mix until smooth, then add the milk and stir to combine. Gently pour over the other ingredients in the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the dish comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.