Monday 11 July 2011

Buddha Speaks - Feeling Pain Together

image

Direct Seeing -  With direct seeing, we know that we are not alone in our suffering and that no one need feel alone when in pain. Seeing our oneness is the beginning of our compassion, and it allows us to reach beyond aversion and separation.

-Sharon Salzberg, “A Quiver of the Heart”

When I read this passage, I am reminded that not all of us see the same way.  I realize that many people judge others’ pain to be lesser than their own.  I wonder why we seem to feel aversion, or even jealousy, about other people’s pain.  A scene from the movie, “Grumpy Old Men” sticks in my mind.  Jack Lemmon’s and Walter Matthau’s character each competed to see who had the biggest hurt!  It was funny, and sad, at the same time.

I confess, when I see other people in pain, I most often seem to hurt for them.  It quickly goes away.  The pain lets me see/feel how they are feeling, and, I empathise with their pain.  I typically respond the same way to tears of grief or sadness.

I think most people are like that!

Judy@angelsandancestors.com

The July Angels Magazine “Summer Freedom” is at  www.angelsandancestors.com

See our websites:  legionsofmichael.blogspot.com www.thestoryoflight.com; www.datacloudconsulting.com; www.datacloudconsultingblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy