Friday 11 July 2008

Serenity

"Serenity At The Bow River at Bankside" 

Photograph copyright May 2008 Judith Hirst-Joyeux

100_0088

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of my clients asked me how to find serenity. I was taken aback! Serenity, to me, is a state of being - not a destination.  I wondered if I misunderstood the concept. I looked it up.

serenity   The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English | Date: 2008

se·ren·i·ty / səˈrenitē/ • n. (pl. -ties) the state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled: an oasis of serenity amidst the bustling city. ∎  (His/Your, etc., Serenity) a title given to a reigning prince or similar dignitary.  © The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English 2008, originally published by Oxford University Press 2008.

I realized that it is a state of being. However, it is a destination as well.  I thought about where in the world I go to find serenity. I came up with "my list of serenity sites".  Here they are, in no particular order.

  1. The spot along the Bow at Bankside
  2. The angel sanctuary in my back yard
  3. The Fairy Tree along Fish Creek
  4. The secluded picnic table along Fish Creek
  5. The porch at our friend's ranch house
  6. The ledge part way up a mountain in Kauai
  7. The hidden trail along the river close to Kananaskis Lodge
  8. The log by the beaver lodge on Pine Island
  9. The flat rock saddle on Cathedral Rock
  10. The oak tree in the meadows close to Beaver Flats

These names will not resonate with most people.  And, that is okay.  These are my spots for serenity.  Because each person has a unique idea of what serenity is, their destination will be quite different. It may be a beach, a park bench, a library, a cathedral... it doesn't matter. 

When you are in serenity, it seems easier to feel The Divine.

Wishing you moments and places of serenity.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy