Wednesday 4 November 2009

Spirit Animal – Small Grey Moth

image

Bent-Line Grey Moth, picture from www.insectsofalberta.com

 

 

 

For the past several weeks, every time I am by myself, I seem to see this small, grey moth.  She sits on the wall, either beside my desk, or beside my bed, or on the wall by the window in the kitchen.  I feel like she is a guardian of sorts.  What makes this very interesting, is that this moth is usually only seen in May to July, in boreal forests.  Now, given that we live close to Fish Creek Park, it seems that this moth could easily have ridden home on my clothes or on one of the dogs, for we often walk in the woods in several different places in the park.

What seems to be most interesting is that my eye is drawn to her when I am thinking about self care – resting, meditating, even simply sitting down for a bit when I was doing six and eight hours of tomato canning for several days. The little moth watched, with wings folded out, in a sign of total relaxation.  In hind sight, Moth was telling me to take time to relax, and put my feet up. 

Moth is nocturnal, and, I was seeing it during the day.  I read that scientists believe that Moth navigates at night by orienting to the moon, and is able to fly in a straight line by keeping itself the same approximate distance from this bright object.  Since Moth was staying close to me, and approximately the same distance at all times, I began to wonder whether she saw me as a bright object.  Or, perhaps she was telling me that if I spent time in mediation, and working with my guides and angels, that I could be a bright light. 

The one thing Moth did accomplish was to get me to be totally in the present moment when I was thinking about her, and puzzling over her appearance.  When one is in the present moment, time goes quickly, and yet seems to be slowed down so that one is conscious of each action.  After a session of being fully present, the clock shows that not much time has passed so it seems that all our activities are compressed into the moment or minutes that we are present.  So, I am very grateful to Moth for keeping me present, and for helping me through my canning. Perhaps that is the reason that she showed up.

Judy@angelsandancestors.com     See more on Moth at  Spirit Animal - How to Understand MothSpirit Animals – St Lawrence Tiger Moth     See our November newsletter online at www.angelsandancestors.com.  This month’s theme is on RESPECT.  Our December issue will feature animal stories, and Christmas stories so if you have a story to share, please send it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy