Monday 7 April 2008

Spirit Animals –Cow

By Judith Hirst-Joyeux - first published in "Tidings of Interest" April 2008 by Angels And Ancestors

2008 04 cows 2nd time

- picture from Clipart....

The cow is being given a bad reputation these days in the way that scientists and environmentalists are blaming the cow for releasing methane gas that is causing the green house effect.

About 60 percent of all methane in the atmosphere is believed to be caused by human activities. Fossil fuels, cattle and sheep, landfills, rice paddies and forest fires are the main human-related sources. Oceans, wetlands, gas hydrate deposits, permafrost, termites, freshwater bodies, and non-wetland soils are among the natural sources.” – from Rueters April 30, 2007.

The cow, however, is a very powerful Spirit Animal. When Cow appears to you in dreams, visions, or on your path to work or play, remember some of these strengths about the Cow.

1. Fertility, Nurturing - Cows are linked traditionally with the Goddess of Fertility such as Aphrodite (Greek Goddess), Bastet (Egyptian Goddess), Freya (Norse Goddess), Arianrhod (Welsh Goddess), Diana (Roman Goddess). The Cow is associated with motherhood and nurturing since it provides food for mankind. It also provides calves which may become food. Therefore, the Cow represents fertility through sacrifice. A Cow will always try to do what is best for itself and others, however, the herd needs are paramount. Drive by a pasture in the spring and see the Nursemaid Cows who watch over the new calves while the Mothers and other herd members graze.

2. Steadfast – The Cow is known as being able to stand its ground through weather and predator. Cow medicine is about standing one’s truth and not being influenced. It is also about mastering challenges.

3. Perception – As part of the food chain for large predators, the Cow is very alert and intelligent. Lead cows have led herds from pasture to pasture to avoid droughts and danger. Cows work with a sixth sense about danger and opportunity. Those with Cows as guides will be strongly perceptive, and the Cow will appear to tell you to pay attention.

4. Compassion – Cows have large eyes that see all. The stare may be hypnotic and will tear down one’s walls to find the soul. The Cow’s eyes are full of compassion since they are an animal of continuous sacrifice. Cow has learned to put the herd before self, to put the calf before self, and to move in a way for the highest good of the herd. Cows that are jumpers or rogues always end up on the other side of the fence and away from the herd. They become isolated.

The cow is a powerful totem and shows us how to nurture ourselves and honor others.  Those with this totem are usually service oriented and put other peoples needs before their own. 

© April 2008 Judith Hirst-Joyeux. Judith is a Sage-Healer-Shaman who works with the Goddesses and Gods, Great Spirit, and angelic realms to move quickly to the source of issues or blocks.

7 comments:

  1. The other day I was shopping and this canvas print of a beautiful cow spoke to me as soon as I saw her! I knew I had to buy it and I did. She is hanging in my kitchen and feel like every time I look at her she is speaking to me. I am 47 years old and stay at home mom mainly because of my special needs son. Should I be listening for a deeper message? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a wonderful dream last night where a cow had just given birth to a calf. When I got near them they both cuddled with me in a most loving way. Why I googled this site about what cows meant. I then later on in the day went onto a webinar that I signed up for and the woman unexpectedly got onto the topic of motherhood and the planet and us women needing nurturing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a rural mountainous area and drive on a particular highway quite often that in one area traverses a wide open pasture bordering a river in a wide open valley where there are many cows grazing. Not long ago while on this road, I glanced over to notice a cow that had a black body and a white tail with long feathering hair flowing in the wind. I was taken back at this combination and the chance that I "happened" to notice this cow. It was walking in the same direction I was traveling on the road. If that wasn't astounding enough, on my return trip home I "happened" to glance over and saw the same cow heading the same direction I was traveling, again!!!
    I was astounded and humbled for the experience. The cow was also by itself away from the heard. I am also a loner:) The whole experience still feels Holy to me and I am still letting the truth come to me and found your site in my search. I would love any offerings of the significance of my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My work takes me deep into the forest on my own. Last Friday I was walking through the forest when I came across a white cow. This was really unusual as there were no nearby farms. I took some pictures as I couldn't quite believe what I was seen. Normally I don't believe in signs but I have to say this seemed very strange. Does this mean anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eddie, and thank you for sharing this story. Cows do not often go into the forest as they are meadow animals. Having a white cow appear is indeed unusual. White animals represent spirit animals that are bringing you a message or that are signifying that they are your guardian animal for the near future. As she appeared while you were working, the cow's message may have been about taking the easiest path and being wary of danger from people around you. Blessings, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    Your story about the cow is a lovely story. The cow seems to be sending a message that she is with you, you are not alone, and that it is okay to walk your own path. Many blessings, Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy