Thursday 6 March 2008

Spirit Animals - Penguin

PENGUINS

clip_image002

Picture from Microsoft Clip Art

Penguins have been around for 30 to 40 million years as verified by the six foot fossils found. This makes Penguin one of the older spirit guides.

As with every story, there is a story behind it. In several medicine wheels that I have worked with, the Penguin has come forward to offer guidance and wisdom. In one of my blog articles, I focused on a penguin crossing that a zoo created because they allowed their penguins some freedom to move around. Now, when I ask Spirit which Spirit Animal needs to be honored in our article, Penguin pops up. And yes, penguins have also been materializing in my dreams. So, we ask that if Penguin appears to you in a dream, vision, in a series of pictures or articles, that you pay attention – for Penguin has selected you to guide.

When Penguin first appears to you, do not be surprised if she bows. As well as looking formal in their black and white attire, Penguins have an intricate social pattern that includes bowing to one’s mate upon leaving and arriving in the nest, bowing to others as they move throughout the society. Bowing represents a tool for appeasement and to maintain social structure. Those who have Penguin as a guide are encouraged to become more polite and attentive to how the social structure around them is holding together. Perhaps you are being called to pay honor to your mate or to your friends. Perhaps you need to appease someone where you have been harsh with your words or actions. Penguin also moves in straight lines when they are gathered in groups and moves with orderliness and a sense of purpose. They are determined and focus. If you lack determination and focus, ask Penguin to assist you in strengthening these areas.

As Penguin has become smaller (see side bar about height of six feet) and more aquatic, its ability to see out of water has diminished. It sees best in the water. As water also represents emotion, then Penguin has the clarity to see through the emotion and get to the heart of the issue. Additionally, Penguin moves through the water with the style of an acrobat or ballerina. They may be awkward on land, but Penguin is graceful and fluid in the water, twisting and turning and shooting upward, achieving speeds of 25 miles per hour. Penguin then teaches about tuning to your inner rhythm, and how to move with speed through emotions, shortening the time you would otherwise spend there.

Pay attention to Penguin’s color. Black and white, ying and yang, magic and mystery! The whiteness of the Penguin represents the awakening spirit and the light of all that is – as does the whiteness where it resides. The black represents the unknown, the density, and the different dimensions. The balance in Penguin’s color shows you how to balance and merge the darkness and the light, and to move between worlds as the Penguin moves between the sea and the land – two different worlds. Feel honored that Penguin is your guide for your journey of magic and mystery is moving in a new direction.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Judy,
    I came across your entry on penguins because I've been searching for answers. I'm not overtly spiritual or interested in Shamanism beyond being open-minded with regards to anyone's search for meaning.
    I live in Sydney, Australia. Yesterday, as I was jogging to the Sydney Opera House, along the harbour, a fairy penguin popped up to the surface of the water, looked at me and swam alongside me briefly before submerging again and disappearing from view. I'm pretty sure I was the only one who saw it. I took this as a great compliment and, I suppose, a gift of sorts.
    I wasn't particularly sure what to file that experience under, but it certainly felt like something of a personal connection.
    Today, I went jogging along my usual route and, of course, as I got to the area where I saw the penguin the day before, I looked out on the harbour and another, slightly larger, fairy penguin surfaced and this time it barked at me. Well, perhaps not at me, but it barked. There was something insistent about it, that's for sure, and like the day before, this penguin lingered for a brief second before it submerged and swam away.
    I should point out that there is a fairy penguin colony on the northern shores of Sydney and it is the only mainland penguin colony in Australia... all other colonies are located on islands around the continent... the largest, most accessible colony being in Victoria at Phillip Island. The fairy penguins I saw are endangered and under threat by urban development and are just about to enter their breeding season. Having said that, they're also quite rare and are not a common sight right near the harbour where I run.
    I found some of your information useful... would you have any further insight into my penguin experience? Or at least be able to point me in the direction of some resource material on the subject? Like I said, it takes something fairly profound to make me pursue an experience like this... I am sure there is a solid purpose. I've read a bit on animal spirit guides and so on, but this feels more like a call to action. Any help would be great...
    Thanks for your time,
    Sydney, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my penguin, she's so goofy sometimes. She is what gives me my sense of humor and my playfulness in life. Thank you for this article :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy