Thursday 19 February 2009

Spirit Animal - Badger

clip_image002Badger in an inquisitive moment! Courtesy Microsoft clipart.

 

Did you know that badgers are by nature very playful? This trait is because Badger is part of the same family as otters (very playful!), ferrets (also playful) and weasels. Most of us though, tend to think of badger as grumpy and perpetually fierce. Most of what we know comes from Britain where they have lived forever, and are one of the favoured animals of the Green Man - keeper of the forest and all things wild.

Badger may be solitary or may live in clans of up to about a dozen members. They are very family oriented and will stop at nothing to protect their mates and their young. Badger's courage is widely admired as it has been known to fight wolves, bears and man, and send them all fleeing. For this reason, many European coats of arms feature badger as a prominent insignia - to show stamina and courage. In tribal cultures, the badger skin was a worn as a head dress to show that the chief or warrior was strong and full of courage, just like a badger. Indeed the black stripes on the badgers head, around the eyes is reminiscent of war paint used from the time of the ancients.

When Badger appears in your life, you may be sure that it is now time to put fear aside, and to take the step beyond compromise. Badger encourages you to stand your ground, to be firm in your boundaries, to speak your truth and stand in your power, and to disregard what others may think or feel about what you are doing. Be sure that when Badger appears you are in a place where all you love is being or going to be challenged. She says that you must fight now or risk losing all forever.

Judy@angelsandancestors.com  Do you have an experience with Badger? Is she your power animal?  Send us your story!

7 comments:

  1. What do you mean by "fight now or risk losing all forever"? Fight for what you love or fight to set your boundaries? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous - what a good question! Badger is talking about first, defining what you love, and second, setting the limits or boundaries that will allow you to protect what you love with grace and integrity. A mother animal will show great acts of bravery to protect her young. We humans are not that great about setting boundaries, even if our child is in danger. This is just one example.

    I think too, that for each of us, what we love and what we are prepared to defend are very individual choices. We may love something, and yet not be prepared to defend it because we have taken a vow of non aggression.

    Thanks for asking the question.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had finished a chapter in a book about being a lone Pagan and fell asleep. I had a very vivid dream. I dreamt that I encountered a badger. I was with some people and the badger sprang snarling as if to attack. I grabbed the badger by the snout and looked into its eyes and held on. Slowly I felt it relax in my hands and it lay before me very calm. However, as it lay it could see it eyeing the people around me as if it wanted in it's nature to attack, but it didn't. It just lay watching me. Someone whisper in my dream - she is Badgerwoman ... then my husband woke me up from my dream. It was very profound as I have never really seen or thought about badgers.
    Can you explain? Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna - our power animals and spirit animals (those that guide and teach us)come to us in different ways. It sounds too, like you were given your animal spirit name. You can read these posts, too, to get more perspective.
    Spirit Animals–Badger Moves In - Feb 13, 2011 or Spirit Animal – Badger Away! on July 17, 2010, and Spirit Animal – Dream Time Visits from Badger and Bear June 9, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dreamt about a very long-legged badger on a mountain top. It was a quite beautiful scene. But badgers are usually underground. This was a kind of mountain goat badger. Any ideas how I should think about this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have long legs and live in the mountains -- so maybe it just a reference to me. A badger with a view...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm in a new relationship, living abroad for a restricted period of time, but for the first time in my life, I feel like it can last... There's so many issues for why I should end this relation, though: difference of age, culture, experiences and past. Walking home with him tonight he saw an animal, I could only hear the noise even though he tried to show me where it was. We kept walking, then from an other place a badger came across the street, passed by us and kept running... I think it was a message for me... Could it mean fight for him? I'm scared and at the moment I'm trying to find an answer... I know that I can find my answer only in me, but a little help from the outside sometimes help...
    Thank you
    A.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy