Saturday 26 December 2009

Buddha Speaks – A Master’s Tears

This Zen story really resonates for me around a holiday time.  The story is about showing compassion, something that is part of the eight noble truths.

image

  Buddha picture with cobras from   bearspace.baylor.edu

 

 

 

 

 

One day, Ch'an Master K'ung-yeh was travelling on the road and met some bandits who wanted to rob him.

Tears fell from the Master's eyes.

The bandits started laughing and exclaimed, "What a coward!"

Master K'ung-yeh then said, "Don't think that I'm crying because I'm afraid of you. I am not even afraid of birth and death. I feel sorry for you young people. You are strong and healthy, yet instead of doing things that are beneficial for others, you hurt people by robbing them. Of course, what you are doing is not acceptable and cannot be tolerated by society. What is worse is that you will all go to hell and suffer great pain. I am so worried about you that I cannot restrain myself and am shedding tears for you"

The bandits were moved and decided to give up their evil ways.

May you find compassion for those that you do not understand.  May you seek understanding from the wisdom of the One.

Judy@angelsandancestors.com www.angelsandancestors.com   See our Angel photo gallery http://www.angelsandancestors.com/galleryAngel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy